Hello food lovers,
We're very pleased to announce the release of Grandma ElMaleh's Moroccan Cook Book coming out at the end of this month and published by Hesperus Press. This book is a treasure trove of recipes, anecdotes, and food facts based on Moroccan-Jewish cooking which was described by the New York Times food critic in 1970 as "home cooking that a Sultan would envy". Foodscape was asked to cook recipes and photograph them for the book. Here's a little sneak preview of one of ElMaleh's recipes, the almond cake. Enjoy!
4 cups blanched almonds
Rind of 1½ lemons
5 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C degrees.
- Grind the almonds in a grinder together with the lemon peels.
- Beat the egg whites until the peaks are stiff but not dry.
- In a separate bowl, beat the yolks with the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the ground almond mixture and blend well.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture.
- Pour this batter into a greased and floured bundt or spring-form pan.
Bake the cake at 180C degrees for 35 to 40 minutes, or until it springs back when touched in the centre.
1 - if you are pressed with time, use ground almonds instead of wholes ones.
2 - we added 2 tsps of orange blossom to the mix which gave it a wonderful perfumed flavour